Christian Funder Sommerlund
- zero3 [at] zero3 [dot] dk
- Odense, Denmark
I am an experienced computer scientist and software engineer interested in all things tech. I mainly work on business critical applications with nontrivial requirements for architecture, performance, correctness and security. I value software quality and user experience highly, and strive to find simple solutions to complex problems.
Gaming and board games are huge personal interests of mine. Current favourites include Deep Rock Galactic, Squad, The 7th Continent and Pandemic Legacy.
Senior Software Engineer
At Esoft, i mainly worked as Tech Lead for an unannounced upcoming product. The product is a core business system with a dedicated backend and mobile apps on top. I also worked on stabilizing and modernizing existing legacy business applications.
Backend technologies used:
- ASP.NET Core
- Entity Framework Core
- JetBrains Rider
- Microsoft Teams
I worked as Tech Lead for the mobile ticketing platform used by about half of the public bus and train companies in Denmark. My main responsibilities included technical planning, system architecture, codebase quality assurance, developer mentoring as well as general software engineering.
- Ownership of ~100.000 lines business critical backend codebase, mostly built from scratch.
- Yearly handling of ticket purchases worth ~250 million DKK.
- Processing of ~1 million API requests daily, with average response time of < 50 ms.
- Technical integration with multiple payment providers (MobilePay, DIBS, NetAxept, ...).
- API design and auto-generated documentation for mobile apps, webshops, admin panels, ...
- Design of software patterns for thread safety, retrying and backoff, deferred execution, ...
- Live monitoring and metrics of system performance, error rates, latency, transaction failures, ...
- Implementation of database migrations for millions of rows of data.
- Mentoring of 10+ Software Engineers.
Backend technologies used:
- ASP.NET Web API
- Entity Framework
- Windows Server
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft IIS
Frontend technologies used:
- Visual Studio
- SQL Server Management Studio
During the last semester of my master's studies, I worked as a teaching assistant for the introductory programming course at the department. I taught the fundamentals of modern object-oriented programming in Java for first-year students.
Study group advisor
Students at Faculty of Science at the university are assigned to study groups with designated advisors during their first semester. As an advisor, I taught computer science students cooperative learning every fall semester during the last four years of my studies.
At Knowledge Lab I provided on-demand IT assistance for the small research center, as a study job. Most of my work involved deploying and maintaining CMS systems (Drupal mostly) for various research projects, tech support and various conference work.
As a personal teaching assistant, I worked as a long-time mentor for multiple younger computer science students with various learning disabilities. Through one-to-one sessions, I supported their learning with their individual challenges in mind. My work was financed by the State Educational Grant and Loan Scheme (SU).
During my studies, I founded a tech startup with two of my co-students to build a learning management system for around 800 students at University of Southern Denmark. Some of the features of the system included announcements, a room booker, course information, a textbook marketplace and an interactive campus map.